We all want to think the worst won’t happen to us. However, with around 4 million homes burglarized each year, protecting your home from a break-in with home security systems in Winter Garden is top-of-mind for many homeowners.
Today we’re sharing six important safety tips to save your home from a break-in.
1. Store valuables wisely. Burglars know the common places people typically hide their valuables. So think again if you’re storing important documents or valuables under the mattress or in the master bedroom, office drawers, the freezer, or suitcases. Also, put your keys somewhere other than in the car or on a key rack as it makes it easier for burglars to steal your vehicle and anything in it.
2. Get a monitored home security system in Winter Garden. You generally won’t be home 24/7 and your precious guard dog can only do so much. A monitored home security system will sound a siren when someone breaks in and alert the authorities. A monitored security system in Winter Garden can also send a signal from a water sensor about a sump pump or sewer backups, and from smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors should air quality issues arise.
3. Be wise with your landscaping. Plant thorny bushes or shrubs near ground floor windows to make it more difficult for burglars to easily enter your home.
Don’t stack logs right outside your house, which will create a stepstool for burglars.
4. Keep an eye on your bathroom. If you let someone who doesn’t live with you in to use your bathroom, make sure to check the window latch after the person leaves. Sometimes a seemingly innocent visitor can unlatch the window in order to gain access to the home later.
5. Use technology to your benefit. Smart home security systems in Winter Garden allow you to control your system and receive notifications whenever activity occurs. You can also control your lights to make it seem like you’re home even when you’re not. A smart thermostat also lets you set the temperature for your home so you can save money and energy when you’re not there.
6. Recruit help when you’re away. When you’re on vacation, having your neighbor or someone stop by daily can make it appear that you are home.
While there’s no 100% guarantee your home won’t be burglarized if you follow these steps, they should at least deter burglars and help give you peace of mind. For more information regarding home security systems in Winter Garden, contact us today to get the protection you need!